Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The last hours

So this trip has almost come to an end - I´m heading to the airport in two hours. This journey has been one of the most mind-blowing of my varied adventures. Leaving myself open to the experience as opposed to narrowing my focus to one topic has been ridiculously educational and rewarding. Working as a volunteer for Threads of Peru brought me to some of the highest pueblos in the region where I was able to interact with the interesting people, got offered to be a godfather for a child there (declined), interviewed folks about how they get water, and got to watch a fascinating yarn-dying workshop. My week in the three villages above Ollantaytambo, Peru was one of my most memorable experiences ever. Then we went to the jungle to meet the Machiguenga tribe in the village of Pullentimari. We headed there with a list of people (friends of a man in Chinchero that we met) that might take us into their home and teach us about their culture. We did not find these people, but did get a first-hand look at how the tribe lives on their small reservation north of Quillabamba. Meeting them was certainly a highly educational betrayal of expectations, as they were not in the traditional dress we expected and showed few superficial differences from the majority of the people we have met here. We found that the reservation they lived on was not unlike those of tribes in North America - both groups having suffered immense oppression and battles for the most basic human rights. We left earlier than we had anticipated, as we felt that we were imposing - having subconsciously counted on our white privilege to spell immediate acceptance into a native community. Our last few days have been spent in dialogue about this place and its people as well as about our upcoming jobs as guides for Carpe Diem - an amazing gap year travel company based in Portland (www.carpediemeducation.org). We are incredibly excited about the opportunity to work for such a reputable and philosophically grounded company and anticipate leaps and bounds of personal growth stemming from our work there. With this excitement about future prospect, it has been somewhat difficult to stay immersed in the moment here, but we have acknowledged this and attempted to focus our attention on our remaining time here.

Now it´s transition time - from South to North and from student to graduate. I can think of no better way to have spent my final quarter at Evergreen and am absolutely grateful for the opportunities I´ve had at this amazing institution. John Dewey has said, "I believe that education, therefore, is a process of living and not a preparation for future living." Having the invaluable option of following my passions, not a prescribed academic track, has made my education at Evergreen a continual process of living and has resulted in my utter engagement with my studies throughout. I cannot thank this college enough for providing me with this gift.

And lastly, I cannot thank all of you enough for your support and love throughout my four years at TESC. I appreciate your readership and look forward to seeing you all soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment